How RMC came to be...
In the 1880's, three young men occupied the same Rochester boardinghouse and entertained the same ambition: to own a business of their own. Since Rochester was a shoe manufacturing center, that industry attracted their attention first. Daniel Calkins and C. P. "Percy" Crowell began to make children's moccasins in the evenings while occupied with their normal jobs during the day.
Daniel Calkins and C. P. "Percy" Crowell
In 1888, an opportunity appeared to purchase the Rochester, New York Agency of the Aromatic Disinfecting Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a company that supplied equipment and “disinfecting” fluid for restrooms. In 1894, the disinfectant business was showing strength and the shoe business was proving unsuccessful. As a result, the name of the concern was changed to the Rochester Germicide Company and a third ambitious friend, George Ford, joined the organization as an Officer and Director.
Under the new company name of Rochester Germicide Company, improvements in the system were made and expansion into manufacturing other products began.
Incorporation was completed in 1897. That same year, the Calkins disinfector unit was patented. This improvement in equipment sparked growth for the tiny concern.
By 1907, Rochester Germicide had opened sales offices in Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland and was manufacturing and selling hand soaps, floor cleaners, disinfectants, and insecticides.